Do I call the police? I thought they wouldn’t come?

I thought the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department is not responding to car accidents that don’t need an ambulance anymore… WRONG! YES THEY ARE, AND YOU SHOULD CALL THE POLICE AFTER AN ACCIDENT!  Calling the police after a car accident is the first step you should take after being involved in a car accident, whether or not you need an ambulance.  Hammond & Hammond knows that many people still believe that the police will not respond if it is not a serious injury car crash requiring immediate medical attention like an ambulance, but that is no longer true.  From the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department (LVMPD) website:

What types of collisions will LVMPD respond to?

  • Traffic collisions with injuries or fatalities;
  • Property damage only collisions on a public road:
  • A driver under the influence of alcohol, narcotics or other substances;
  • A driver who doesn’t have a driver’s license, proof of insurance or registration;
  • A hit and run;
  • A vehicle disabled on the roadway as a result of an collision; and
  • An uncooperative driver (i.e. will not exchange information) or any other disturbance meriting a police response.

So, if you are involved in a car crash in the Nevada Las Vegas, Henderson, or North Las Vegas area, Hammond & Hammond recommends that you call the police to document, gather witness statements, take photographs, assess liability, and assist with the exchange of information. This can make the difference in winning or losing your case.  It is amazing the number of people who cause the accident that change their story once they are home and decide they don’t want to take responsibility for the accident. And call Hammond & Hammond Personal Injury / Accident injury attorneys if you are sore, even if you did not break any bones.  We can help you navigate the road ahead of you.  Even minor injury may need medical attention to heal properly.

Article from the Review Journal discussing the change:


Leave a Reply